Louisiana Tech University Logo

College of Engineering & Science - Louisiana Tech University


Mechanical Engineering

Benjamin T. Bogard

OUTSTANDING ALUMNUS AWARD for MECHANICAL AND INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING: 1999

In recognition of outstanding service and leadership in the engineering profession.

Benjamin Taylor Bogard was born in Ruston, Louisiana, December 9, 1914, the son of Dean Frank and Mrs. Lela Tait Bogard. Benjamin attended A.E. Phillips School through high school and graduated from Louisiana Tech in 1936 with a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering. After graduating from Louisiana State University in 1937, where he earned an M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, he returned to Louisiana Tech and accepted the position of assistant professor of Mechanical Engineering. (His father had died that summer.)

Mr. Bogard remained at Louisiana Tech until he was inducted into the U.S. Army in 1942. He served in the Army Ordnance Corps at the Pentagon in Washington, DC, until his discharge in 1946, at which time he returned to Louisiana Tech as an associate professor of Mechanical Engineering. He was made Dean of the College of Engineering in 1952 and remained in that position until his retirement in 1977. He was awarded the title of Dean Emeritus at that time. After his death he was awarded the Tower Medallion.

In 1949, Dean Bogard served as a consultant to the Special Project U.S. Bureau of Mines and Combustion Engineering Corporation. In 1951, he served in the same capacity to the Rural Electrification Administration Cooperative. He was an organizer and member of the Delta Research and Development Corporation in 1955.

Dean Bogard was a member of the National Council of State Boards of Engineering Examiners, and a Vice-Chairman of the Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors. He was also a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the National Society of Professional Engineers, and the American Society for Engineering Education.

Dean Bogard was a member of the Ruston Kiwanis Club, the First Presbyterian Church, and the Lincoln Parish Hospital Board, until his death on February 19, 1978.