COES announces Freshman Design Expo winners
Louisiana Tech’s College of Engineering and Science held its annual Freshman Design Expo on May 12.
The Freshman Design Expo is an annual event during which first-year engineering students present products that they develop as part of their Living with the Lab curriculum. Each year, first-year engineering students develop innovative solutions to real-world problems and develop working prototypes to show how their products will work.
For the first time in Expo history, the students presented their projects in the Integrated Engineering and Science Building on the University’s Ruston campus, and teams lined all three floors of the building.
Dr. Krystal Corbett, freshman engineering programs coordinator and lecturer of mechanical engineering, says that this freshman engineering class has shown perseverance and dedication to their fields.
“Throughout a year of much uncertainty and adversity, these students rose to the challenges of the Freshman Engineering series to produce some truly remarkable products. The creativity and ingenuity displayed were amazing. The energy of the students was infectious and could be felt throughout the building.
“Their excitement in showing judges, faculty, and their parents what they accomplished was infectious. I always leave the event knowing that I, along with my fellow Living with the Lab faculty, have made an impact and that these students have fostered skills and are capable of success in whatever the next step of their journey is.”
At the end of the night, judges named the top three projects, as well awards for the best-constructed prototype (Makers), the most challenging project that worked (Can-Do), the toughest project that wasn’t completely functional (Shoot the Moon), the most creative project (Da Vinci), and the most novel, yet practical idea (Patent Pending).
The winning teams are listed below.
- First Place Overall: The Pro-Toe-Type – Matthew English (Tyler, Texas), Andrew Tucker (Horatio, Arkansas), Carter Ledbetter (Mandeville, Louisiana)
- Second Place Overall: Self-Hitch – Coy Disher (Loranger, Louisiana), Audrey Shank (Prairieville, Louisiana), McKinley Sherman (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
- Third Place Overall: Tankless Elite – Jake Kopecky (Covington, Louisiana), David Whitlock (West Monroe, Louisiana)
- Makers: PUPR (Personal Utility Picker & Retriever) – Jacob Snead (Bossier City, Louisiana), Jacob Norris (Waskom, Texas)
- Can-Do: Drill Sargent – Hayden Brass (Luling, Louisiana), Spencer Lynch (Ruston, Louisiana), Bradley Reed (Denham Springs, Louisiana)
- Shoot the Moon: Gyro-Cast – Julie Kneipp (Orange Park, Florida), Nic Long (Farmerville, Louisiana), Djimon Hill (Shreveport, Louisiana)
- Da Vinci: CAD Companion – Bronson Jordan (Lake Charles, Louisiana), Jace Peloqui (Lake Charles, Louisiana), Ethan Hebert (Breaux Bridge, Louisiana)
- Patent Pending: Sleepless Seatbelt – Destiny O’Connor (Westwego, Louisiana), Sarah Sellen (Paragould, Arkansas), Savannah Stokes (Otis, Louisiana)