COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & SCIENCE
Frequently Asked Questions
A laptop computer is REQUIRED for all students in the College of Engineering and Science.
Minimum Computer Configurations:
Operating System: Windows 10, 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i5 or equivalent (Intel Core i7 recommended)
Memory: 8 GB of RAM (16 GB recommended)
Storage: 256 GB hard drive or more (solid-state drive recommended)
Video/Display: 1920 x 1080 (full HD) minimum, 12 inch or larger display
Other: Wireless networking capability, USB flash drive connection
1. Your laptop will often go wherever you go, so think twice before purchasing a heavy laptop.
2. If you will be purchasing a new laptop, models starting around $500 are acceptable; purchasing a $1,500 laptop will generally not help you be more successful in engineering.
3. Mac computers are NOT recommended for engineering courses. If you come to Louisiana Tech with an Apple, please note that your machine MUST boot into Microsoft Windows. Much of the required software is Windows based. If you do have an Apple, please be aware that technical support will be limited from your instructor and the COES First-Year Engineering HelpDesk.
4. If you plan to use an older laptop, we recommend that you arrive at Louisiana Tech with a fresh installation of Windows 10.
5. We recommend that you use your computer primarily for academic purposes. If you choose to load a variety of games, movies, and other media files, you should expect diminished computer performance when using COES programs.
6. The installation of antivirus/anti malware software is strongly encouraged before students arrive.
Printer: Multifunction printer and scanner (laser or inkjet) recommended.
Software: Microsoft Office 365 is required, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. We recommend that you install these programs before coming to Louisiana Tech. Student discounts on Microsoft software are available (https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education).
Specific Note for Engineering Students: SOLIDWORKS will likely be your most resource-demanding program. For further recommendations, see https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html.
Download a PDF of the requirements.