COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & SCIENCE
Chemical engineers are problem solvers that touch every aspect of our lives. Chemical engineers from Louisiana Tech primarily go into petrochemical, chemical or pulp and paper industries but are prepared to go into a variety of career fields depending on their interests.
Chemical engineers also tend to be among the highest paid engineers. In addition, the starting salaries at graduation for chemical engineering graduates from Louisiana Tech University have been up to 19% higher than the national average for chemical engineers over the last decade.
The Louisiana Tech Chemical Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET. To find out more information about the program mission, educational objectives, student outcomes and enrollment and graduation data, go to our Accreditation & Enrollment page.
2017-2018 Graduates Who Completed Their Degree with Honors
2017-2018 Chemical Engineering Students with Full-Time Employment on Graduation
Average Salary of Louisiana Tech Chemical Engineering Graduates
- Almost 50% of 2017-18 Louisiana Tech Chemical Engineering graduates completed their degree with honors.
- At least 88% of 2017-18 Louisiana Tech Chemical Engineering graduates had full-time employment after graduation with an average starting salary of $73,800 a year.
- During junior and senior year, you’ll get hands-on experience with equipment found in many plants through courses held in our Chemical Engineering Unit Operations Labs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Will I Study?
Our unique Chemical Engineering program begins with the Living with the Lab hands-on experience that takes engineering beyond the books by utilizing a student-owned lab kit and much more! As you continue with our curriculum, you will experience a challenging but rewarding program that prepares students for a variety of exciting careers! Our dedicated faculty and small class sizes allow one-on-one interactions between faculty and students, so you can find the support you need to succeed in college…and in life!
What Types of Job Opportunities Will I Have?
A chemical engineer may work in a variety of subfields, including those listed below.
- Design Engineers design new chemical plants and work on teams to design many other things.
- Production Engineers operate the manufacturing plants by using their significant technical knowledge to manage the facility.
- Environmental Engineers oversee systems to reduce emissions from plants, monitor the emissions from facilities, provide feedback to the management team and compile reports needed by government agencies.
- Managers manage the operations at manufacturing plants and lead teams focused on various opportunities.
- Biomedical Engineers apply engineering principles and design concepts to medicine and biology for healthcare purposes.
- Pharmaceutical Engineers develop and manufacture products, processes and components in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Nuclear Engineers research and develop the processes, instruments and systems used to derive benefits from nuclear energy and radiation.
- Project Managers have the responsibility of planning, procuring and executing projects.
- Research Engineers seek improvements in theory and practice in fields such as fuels processing, bioengineering, pharmaceuticals, power systems, nanotechnology, construction materials, chemicals and much more.
- Oil Production Engineers handle the daily management of oil and gas production and help to maximize profitability, design and select subsurface equipment for oil and gas wells.
- Lawyers, Politicians and even Astronauts use chemical engineering skills!
How Can I Enhance My Degree?
There are various opportunities for you to participate in co-op or internship experiences. The Louisiana Tech University Career Center is available to help you find job opportunities.
What Types of Graduate Opportunities Will I Have?
A Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering opens up opportunities in a number of Louisiana Tech graduate programs.
- Master of Science in Engineering, Chemical Engineering Concentration
- Master of Science in Molecular Science and Nanotechnology (Interdisciplinary)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular Science and Technology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computational Analysis and Modeling
- Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering